What flowers are poisonous to cats?
Every year, as a nation, we spend over a whopping £2 billion on freshly cut flowers.
But, with the rise in pet ownership also growing, it’s important to make sure that your fresh flowers aren’t poisonous to your beloved feline friend! There are many flower and plant species that fall under this bracket, most of which are common flowers in bouquets.
So, what flowers should you avoid?
Certain types of lily are incredibly dangerous for cats, including Asiatic, Day, Easter, Japanese Show and Tiger lilies.
These flowers are highly toxic and eating just two or three leaves, or even drinking water from a vase containing them can prove fatal to cats. The substance is so toxic, that cats have even been known to swallow a fatal amount of pollen just by grooming themselves after brushing against them.
Urgent treatment is necessary if you believe your cat has ingested this substance. Treatment may include induce vomiting and IV fluids, as well as activated charcoal to decontaminate their digestive system.
If left untreated, lily poisoning can cause lasting kidney damage and potentially even death.
The stalks, flowers and bulbs of this popular flower contain phenanthridine alkaloids which are toxic to cats. Eating amaryllis can cause intense vomiting, changes in blood pressure, tremors and even seizures.
These seemingly innocent yellow flowers contain a poisonous alkaloid that can trigger vomiting whilst their bulbs are incredibly toxic and can cause serious heart and respiratory problems in your cat.
After roses, tulips come out tops when it comes to the nations favourite flower. However, there is a dangerous side to these colourful flowers; they are toxic to cats. The most toxic part is the bulb, which contains allergenic lactones, which, if ingested can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and depression to your cat.
Although less toxic than the aforementioned flowers, chrysanthemums can be dangerous for your cat due to the fact that they contain pyrethrins. These may cause vomiting and diarrhoea and result in your cat losing its appetite.
Belonging to the liliaceae family, the highest concentration of poison in hyacinths, like many of these flowery dangers, is in the bulbs. Ingestion can lead to drooling, vomiting, or diarrhoea, depending on the number consumed.
Iris and gladioli
Both of these flowers belong to the Iridaceae family and can cause irritation when eaten. Like many popular spring flowers, the most toxic part is the bulb.
Whilst a beautiful flower, Foxglove, are incredibly poisonous to cats, dogs and even humans! They contain a high level of naturally occurring poisons which affect the heart.
The spring crocus, is slightly less dangerous to cats than its autumn counterpart, causing digestive issues such as vomiting and diarrhoea if ingested.
However, all parts of the autumn crocus are highly toxic and can cause much more severe symptoms including vomiting, bloody diarrhoea, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, respiratory failure, seizures and potentially even death. You may see signs right away or they may take days to appear.
If you think your pet may have eaten any of these plants or flowers please be sure to contact your vet immediately.
To find out what other household items could be a potential danger to your pet, check out our blog here.