With many of us staycationing for another year, it’s likely our pets will be coming with us on our summer holidays!
As we experience the hotter, summer temperatures, blue skies and seeing our old friend the sun, it is important to remember our four-legged family members and how we can keep them safe in the sun.
If you feel the need to put on sun cream, your pet will definitely need protection too. Just like us, cats and dogs can get sunburnt on a cloudy day too.
Areas to watch out for are where there is little or no fur – tops of ears, nose, paws, or patchy areas. Animals with white/pale fur, patchy fur or pink skin on their bellies/ears/nose are especially sensitive.
If you wish to, you can apply pet safe sun cream to your cat or dog. It is more realistic however to offer them plenty of space where there is shade for them to relax.
Avoid walking in the middle of the day when sun is strongest. It is best to have walkies early in the morning or when it is cooler in the evening. Before 8am or after 5pm is probably ideal.
Pavements can get very hot during the day. Test them with your hand first – if you can’t hold your hand to the pavement for more than 10 seconds, it is too hot for their paws.
If it is a really hot day, make sure you do not over exercise them causing them to overheat.
Hydrate & Shade
It is important that your furry friends have access to fresh, cool drinking water throughout the day.
Providing shaded, cool areas is extremely important too. Make sure to not leave your cats and dogs in conservatory areas or other places around your home that easily heat up.
NEVER LEAVE YOUR PET IN A HOT CAR! If you see a pet left in a hot car, dial 999 immediately.
Cooling pads are available both online in high street pet stores which are fantastic tools to help prevent your pet from overheating.
If your animal does need to cool down, you should provide them with cool – not cold – water to help.
Heatstroke (or hypothermia) happens when the core body temperature is elevated above the normal range. It is a serious, potentially fatal condition as it can cause our pet’s organs to shut down.
As well as implementing the tips we have above, you can look out for symptoms such as:
- Excessive panting
- Diarrhoea or vomiting
- Signs of delirium or dizziness, confusion and staggering
- Muscle tremors
If you suspect your animal to have heatstroke, you must:
- Immediately remove them from the warm area
- Cool them down with tepid – not cold – water
- Apply light fanning
- Take your pet to the nearest vet immediately, this is an emergency
Even if your pet seems to be doing better, you need to take them to the vet for proper care.
CHECK OUT OUR SOCIAL PAGES FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN A SUMMER SURVIVAL KIT!
Competition Terms & Conditions
1. The Promotion is a prize draw, which is only open to residents of the United Kingdom & Ireland; entrants must be aged 18 and over. 2. The Promoter is John Mackle (Moy) Ltd trading as Norsh Petfoods, 40 Corrigan Hill Road, Moy, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone N.Ireland BT71 6SL. 3. The competition start date is 30th June 2021 and closes at Midnight on July 4th. 4. The winner will be chosen and contacted on Monday 5th July. 5. The competition is not open to employees of Mackle Petfoods or its group companies, any members of the employee’s families, their agents, or anyone else connected to this promotion.6. Entry into the competition is acceptance of these terms and conditions. The decision of the Promoter is final and no correspondence will be entered into.7. No purchase necessary. 8. No responsibility is taken for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be entered for any technical or other reason. 9. 1 lucky winners will be selected at random by Mackle Petfoods. The winning entry will receive a dog cooling mat, pet sunscreen and a dog paddling pool as well as a selection of Norsh treats. 10. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You understand that you are providing your information to Mackle Petfoods and not Facebook. 11. Entering content underneath the competition post is permitting the use of such content by Mackle Petfoods on the Norsh Petfoods Facebook Page. 12. The competition winners will be contacted by private Facebook message within 48 hours of being selected a winner.13. If a winner does not respond to Mackle Petfoods within 7 days of being announced as the winner, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and the Promoter shall be entitled to select another winner (and that winner will have to respond to the message from the Promoter within 7 days or else they also will forfeit their prize). If a winner rejects their prize, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and the Promoter will be entitled to select another winner. 14. The Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize of equivalent value in the event of the original prize being unavailable or in the event of circumstances outside their control. There is no Cash alternative.15. Details of the winner will be published.16. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the competition or accepting the prize.17. The Promoter reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this competition with or without prior notice due to reasons outside his control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud).18. The Promoter shall not be liable for any failure to comply with his obligations where the failure is caused by something outside his reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, civil unrest, supervening legislation or any circumstances amounting to force majeure.19. The competition will be governed by the law of Northern Ireland.